Here is a composite rendering of a 3D character running and climbing over a building. This was my first attempt at using Boujou and tracking live footage. Maya’s production shaders were utilized to create the necessary masks and surfaces for the character to interact with.

Expanding a bit more from the last project, I used footage that was tracked in Boujou instead of a static image. Basically Boujou is a video tracking software which analyzes points of high contrast within a frame and compares that to the frames before and after to determine depth and motion in Z-space. This data can then be exported into Maya to position the perspective camera so 3D elements can be composited into live footage.

For this project my game character was composited into live footage to make it appear that he was climbing a building. I decide to go with a nearby apartment complex because the layout was perfect for a climbing sequence.

After shooting the scene from many different angles, one was selected and brought into Boujou for tracking. This was more difficult than anticipated and I unfortunately had to give up on my original medium and close shots which were a bit too elaborate. In the end, I settled for a single wide angled shot which had less movement and more tracking points for a more simple composite.

After the footage was tracked, it was then exported into Maya for scene alignment. Geometry was then modeled and properly aligned to fit the footage and a very basic animation sequence was blocked in (frame by frame keying). Due to time constraints and since this was more of a tracking and compositing project, little time was spent on the actual animation and a basic ‘block in’ pass could be used.

Once that was completed, MIP shaders were applied to all background objects and an IBL (image based lighting) setup with final gather was created to light the scene. To further integrate the character, raytrace shadows were created by adding a simple directional light.

Everything was then rendered and exported into After Effects for post production. Adjustment layers and blurs were applied for gama correction and to ‘dirty up’ the character to better match the original footage. Then dialogue and additional follie was added over the original audio to complete the scene (all cleaned up in Audition of course).

Check out the gallery for screenshots and wireframe. Also the final render along with a simple breakdown can be viewed below:

Software Utilized: Autodesk Maya, Vicon Boujou, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Audition, Adobe Photoshop